D.I.Y : Framed photos with a crocheted edge






I have become quite addicted to crocheting lately and recently came up with a little idea which I thought would make a lovely gift to a loved one. I have seen tutorials showing how to crochet around vintage Christmas cards but none using photos.... so I thought I would take this opportunity to try it out.

I have loads of photos waiting to be framed and I considered this would be a nice way of framing a couple. They are quite easy to make. Even if your a beginner at crocheting. You can also cut your photos into different shapes, and as you can see from the photos, I experimented with hearts.



You need

Fine yarn / wool - Not too thick. You want to be able to crochet through the holes without tearing the photo.
A single hole punch
Scissors
Crochet hook - I used a size 5mm for my red yarn
Photos



When I got my photos developed they were printed with a white border. I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this or not so I decided to cut the border off one of my photos. I have made one with the border and to be honest I like both effects. 
You will need to make your holes next. You can use a single hole punch to do this, or if you don't have one of those around use a needle. I spaced my holes about 1 inch apart. Don't worry if your holes aren't even. This will not show once it's crocheted.

Scallop Edge

You will need to crochet a scallop edge around your photo. To start slip stitch through one of the holes (doesn't matter which one). Do 4 single crochets and then slip stitch into the next hole. Repeat this all the way round. When you get to a corner you will need to slip stitch in the same hole twice. Slip stitch to join when you have come to the beginning again.

Now you will then need to start your second row. All the way round you will be stitching 1 SC, 2 DC, 1 SC then slip stitch when you get to each hole. This will form a scalloped edge. Slip stitch to join when you get to the end and fasten off. Weave in ends to finish off.

I used little mushroom photo clips to display my photos and I got them from Tiger for a £1. Bargaino!


I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial. If you have a go at making this DIY I would love to see your finished photos. Please send any photos or questions to info@vintageowlboutique.com

Big love!
AKA Hooting Miss Owl







ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT
PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE USING
THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. cute!! i wanna try that :)

    http://anythingariel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really easy ! Please send me a pic if you do. Would love to see ;)

      Big love!

      Hooting Miss Owl x

      Delete