DIY: Ombre Button Phone Case




Recently, I was asked if I would like to become a member of Fantastic Ribbons' review panal. This was an offer I couldn't refuse as I love trying out new products and making things.  This means I will be providing you with regular reviews on their wonderful products and also showing you easy tutorials on how you can get your craft on!

For my first review I was sent a mixed bag of buttons in different shades of pink. I've always had a fascination and love for these small fasteners since my childhood. This all stemmed from a large jar of buttons my mum used to keep on the mantelpiece. I would spend hours sorting, examining, counting and playing with them and that fascination has continued into my adulthood.

I've been wanting to decorate a phone case for sometime and been loving the decoden craze that has hit the craft world. Inspired by decoden and the different shades of buttons, I decided to make an ombre button phone case. Here's how I made it....



YOU WILL NEED
Phone case (must be hard plastic case)
Mod Podge or sealer
Buttons from Fantastic Ribbons
Paint brush

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
 
1.   I wanted my phone case to have an ombre effect, so first of all you will need to seperate your buttons into colours. 

2.   Test out the layout of your buttons on the case and then take a photo for your own reference. 

3 - 5.   Using the E6000 glue, start sticking your buttons down on to the case. The E6000 glue is very strong and the one I bought came with a very handy nozzle. I started where the camera hole is (that area is a bit tricky and wanted to make sure it was perfect) and worked my way down.

6.  Once I had stuck all my buttons down, I noticed there were some gaps so I decided to add a couple of extra buttons to cover them up. This gave a textured effect, which I love! I also added some pearl beads around the camera hole as I didn't have any buttons small enough to fit round that area. Once your happy with your design, leave the case to dry for a  couple of hours.

7.   Once dry apply a layer of Mod Podge. The Mod Podge will act as a sealer and make sure all the buttons are secure. I used the 'hard coat' version as it dries quite hard and I thought it would help my case to endure every-day use for longer.  

8.   When applying the Mod Podge, make sure you cover any gaps.  Once coated, leave to dry for 2 hours

9.   Once your first layer is dry, apply a second layer. Allow this layer to dry for as long as possible. I left mine to harden overnight. Once dry, you will have a cool ombre phone case that no one else will have! 

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

The bag of buttons from Fantastic Ribbons were such good value and were enough to make at least 3 button phone cases. They have different packs available and if you can't decide what colour you want you can take them up on their special offer of buying 4 packs for the price of 2... BARGAINO! 

If you were given a bag of buttons, what would you make? 

Be inspired and get crafty!














Follow my blog with Bloglovin

ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT
PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE USING
THANK YOU!

5 comments:

  1. This is a very cute and budget friendly idea,

    xo!

    http://www.calluswhatever.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it :) Let me know if you make it. Would love to see your results!
      xox xox

      Delete
  2. This is so cute, possibly above my DIY skills though!

    http://sollalune.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lot easier than it looks Samantha. Just needs a little planning ;) I'm also selling already made cases on depop http://depop.com/en/vintageowl/ombre-button-iphone-4-4s
      xox xox

      Delete
  3. If you'd rather your photo wraps around, you'll need to adjust the sizing slightly. phone holder car

    ReplyDelete