WHAT MR D WORE: Brogues Before (S)hoes



I like brogues. It's weird to think that, back in the early 20th Century when the term 'brogue' was coined, they were only considered appropriate for outdoor, country-wear. Traversing bogs and such.  Now, they are one of the most popular forms of footwear for both formal and casual occasions. The modern brogue started life in Scotland and Ireland as a really simple shoe for wearing O'er field and fell, mountain or, er... molehill. they were made from untanned hide and were perforated to all water to drain out when traversing those aforementioned bogs and other wet ground. Over the years, they've developed into something much more multifunctional. And just as well too. I mean, honestly. Imagine me, traversing a bog?

These are my new pair of classic tan Oxford full brogues and I love them. LOVE THEM. As with any new leather dress shoes, they'll need a bit of wearing-in when you first take them out of the box, but after a few days of pacing around, you'll find that you've got a pair of smart shoes that are as comfy as your favourite trainers. 


I bought my first pair of brogues a couple of years ago, on the cheap, from a 'High Street' Menswear establishment. But as much as I love them, they really were cheap and haven't aged well. A good pair of brogues should last a lifetime, so when Jones gifted me a brand spanking new pair, I knew I would be getting a decent quality shoe.

Jones Bootmakers (. . . since 1857, no less), are well known for making good quality, long lasting shoes at not-so-expensive-you-need-to-remortgage prices. They've got a great range of own brand and other designers on their website, but The Brogues I went for are Jones' own (many of the other brands, such as Fly, still insist on making stupid pointy-pointy shoes. I do not like stupid pointy-pointy shoes).

The best thing about brogues (as the pictures below attempt to demonstrate) is that they look perfect for formal events but actually, they're comfortable, hard wearing and durable enough to be worn for most occasions. Be it an important business meeting, date night or a stroll along the beach or country track, a good pair of brogues will do the job.

MR D'S CASUAL LOOK; BRETON TOP > H&M | JEANS > H&M | BACKPACK > H&M |  HAT > BEYOND RETRO | SUNGLASSES > BEYOND RETRO | BROGUES > JONES BOOTMAKERS

MR D'S SMART LOOK JEANS > H&M | JACKET & WAISTCOAT > BEST THRIFT STORE FIND EVER | SHIRT > H&M | SUNGLASSES > BEYOND RETRO | SATCHEL > BEYOND RETRO | TIE > H&M | BROGUES > JONES BOOTMAKERS

Now, your brogues will need a little TLC in order for them to have a full and lasting life. Avoid using too many chemicals. I wash mine with a cloth and some warm water with a bit of lemon juice, and then polish using good old fashioned wax polish, a decent set of brushes and some elbow grease. Do this often and well, and your brogues should last as long as you do.

My feet are happy. I am happy.

Brogues for life. Brogues before (s)hoes.


@AttackPanicPete












Follow my blog with Bloglovin

ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO  COPYRIGHT
PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE USING
THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Dude, love your look... Want those brogues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Felix! We shall be having Mr D doing some more style posts soon, so WATCH THIS SPACE! ;)

    xox xox

    ReplyDelete