John Galliano gets inspired by René Gruau


John Galliano has designed a beautiful couture collection for Christian Dior. The collection was inspired by René Gruau (1909-2004), who was famously an illustrator for Dior in the forties and fifties and created some of the most iconic fashion images of the 20th century. His illustrations were showcased at Somerset House last December. 

Galliano translated Gruau's illustrations with such ease but stated it was his most technically challenging collection. When I first heard about the collection, I have to admit I was quite skeptical. But he has really pulled it off! The fact that he seems to have captured the strokes and movement of Gruau's drawings is amazing. I am truly impressed and fascinated. I love the fact he used ostrich feathers to depict swirls of ink, embroidery to cause a subtle shadow relief effect and pencil strokes were replaced by sequins. I wish I was there to see the show in the flesh. I'm sure these outfits are even more stunning up close. 

What do you think?





Top image courtesy of Renegruau.com and collection images courtesy of Style.com

4 comments:

  1. I think this is brilliant! Galliano is so clever. It does help when funding of a project is virtually unlimited though! Maybe his best collection yet? And maybe the V&A will turn it into an exhibition one day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog !!! Great pictures of the couture shows. I want to give you the Stylish Blogger Award ! Follow the link for rules. Best of luck

    xoxo
    Bridget

    http://bridgeybaby.blogspot.com/2011/01/stylish-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. the hair and make-up is so pretty,
    p.s i love your owl background.. so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Bridget for the Stylish Blogger Award! Very excited about that and glad you love our blog!

    Tell everyone about us!!!

    xox xox

    ReplyDelete