A little place called Lewes


Vintage faux fur coat // Vintage Greek goddess shirt // Tulip skirt from H&M // Black bow from ASOS // Blue cardigan from H&M // Hat from Topshop // Creepers from Underground
I went on a little day trip to Lewes the other day with Miss Sutherland, my friend from I Love It. If you don't know Lewes,  you can find it nestled in the South Downs, 7 miles from Brighton. The river Ouse meanders slowly through the town, which has a large selection of antique flea markets, vintage shops and a handful of beautiful boutiques containing colourful curios for the home and soul. Miss Sutherland and I had a lazy afternoon, perusing through the cobbled lanes, and she took me to her favourite shop, Wickle, and I fell in love with it instantly.

Maybe it's the Castle? Or the glimpses of the misty Downs? Whatever it is, there is something quite dark and magical about the atmosphere of this little town. It was quite quiet when we were there. But every year the streets of Lewes come alive with 80,000 people coming together with blazing torches and crosses to celebrate their biggest event, Bonfire Night. I haven't been yet but I have heard it is unforgettable.

Here are just a few things I love to do when I go to Lewes
  • Munch down some brunch at the first ever Bills (they make the perfect poached egg)
  • Head to the Snow Drop Inn for a roast.
  • Visit Wickle on the High Street. (They sell gorgeous bits and bobs for home and family at really reasonable prices. They also have a cute little cafe at the back with mismatched vintage teacups and saucers, and offer scrummy homemade cake.)
  • Visit Lewes Castle
  • Have a picnic down by the river
  • Visit Harvey's Brewery on Cliffe High Street
  • Have a peruse around the Needlemakers and a coffee in the cafe.
  • Lots of thrifting to be done. There are around 8 charity shops, Lewes Flea Market and Lewes Antiques Centre to have a nose around.

Photos of things I saw around Lewes (left to right)
  1. Getting on the train to Lewes from Brighton Station
  2. Beautiful bottles of pink lemonade at Bills 
  3. Everything on the shelves at Bills have amazing packaging
  4. I love these tins of amaretti biscuits
  5. 1960s doll at Lewes Antiques Centre
  6. Pretty pink bead detail on vintage dress
  7. Teacups and saucers at Wickle
  8. Vintage polka dot dress at Hobo Vintage in the Needlemakers
  9. Cute 1950s plastic buttons I bought in a little antiques shop on Cliffe High Street
Hope this post has inspired you to visit this wonderful town.

Browse. Buy. Cherish.
http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54490/83/AE3871145E7D19BE340021F995CE9092.pngAKA Hooting Miss Owl

3 comments:

  1. I don't know when I'll make it back to Europe (it's been 10 years!), but I'd definitely like to stop by Lewes based on this post! It looks so lovely :)

    Cheers,
    Nina

    lefancygeek.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lewis sounds and looks like a great place to visit! Glad you had a fun time!

    Take only Memories

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina from Le Fancy Geek again... just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Leibster Award! Details can be found on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete