DIY: Fresh Princess of Bell Sleeves




If you follow me on Instagram you'll noticed I've been working on altering a dress for Brighton blogger, Sarah Harris (aka English Rose).  Whilst Sarah was thrift shopping in Hove, she bought a dress for £4. She fell in love with the fun geometric print but wasn't too keen on the sleeves and the length of the dress. Knowing that I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine, she asked me if I could work some magic and turn it into her dream dress. Liking a challenge, I couldn't refuse!

Here's a pic of the dress beforehand. As you can see it's quite long and by taking the hem up I was left with a lot of excess fabric. It involved a lot of unpicking but it was worth it, as it gave me an extra 2" to play with. Then with a bit of rouching, sewing and hemming, I had bell sleeves! It completely transformed the style from being quite 90s into a beautiful swinging 60s dress. This is a perfect example of why you shouldn't be put off buying vintage just because the shape or cut of the dress isn't for you. If you find a pattern you love, the dress can always be altered.


I'm so pleased with the results. It's very rewarding knowing I have given this dress a new lease of life and that Sarah is going to get so much pleasure from wearing it. The only problem is that it's given me the bell sleeves bug. I want to add bell sleeves to everything!

So, when you're out shopping and you see something you like and it's not quite right, don't be too hasty putting it back. Have a closer look. It could be transformed into something wonderful! I do this a lot with my thrifty finds (you might remember me transforming a dress I found in Beyond Retro in this previous post) and it's definitely worth asking yourself the following questions...

1. Can it be taken up?  
Changing the length of a dress or trousers can give amazing results. Plus you might be able to use the excess fabric for something else

2. How much seam allowance is there?  
Be careful with thrift items as they don't always have the standard seam allowance that new garments have. Also if something is 2 sizes too small there won't be enough fabric to make it to the desired size.

3. How much will it cost to alter?  
Certain alterations can be quite expensive (especially if there's a lining). Taking up a hem or changing a zip can cost between £10-12. Whilst taking in sides or tapering trouser legs can cost between £15-£20 (these costs are for items without a lining)

4. Are there any holes that aren't on the seam?  
Holes not on the seam are very difficult to cover up, unless you plan to use a patch or applique motif. This might not necessary suit the style of the garment though



Hope this post has inspired you to have a bit more fun with your thrift hunting. If you have any questions or anything you'd like to alter I would love to help. I charge cheap rates :) Simply send me your enquiry to vintageowl@me.com for more info.

Biig love!
















ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT
PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE USING
THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment