Whiskey & Cheese tasting evening








Last week, I was invited to a whiskey and cheese pairing evening organised by The Wild Geese. The Wild Geese make top quality Irish whiskey and have a wonderful collection to suit a range of tastes. I've never really tried whiskey properly as I've always perceived it as an old man's drink, so, when the invitation arose I took it as a good opportunity to educate myself in the wonders of this amber nectar.

The night was held at The Mucky Duck in Brighton and upon arrival I noticed there was a large group of us eager to try what was on offer. We were introduced to 3 types of whiskey  from The Wild Geese collection, all paired with 3 different varieties of cheese sourced locally from Le Cave á Fromage. I was dubious, at first, as to whether cheese would go with whiskey, but was soon to be pleasantly surprised. Our connoisseur, Dominic, chose wisely and picked cheeses that would compliment the whiskey and not overpower it.

The first whiskey we tried was a classic blend and perfect entry level. It was paired with a creamy and nutty Gubbeen cheese from County Cork, which enhanced the mellow, honey notes of the classic blend. We then had a double distilled which had a lot more warmth and body. It had been distilled with American bourbon oak (which contains vanillin) adding a whack of sweetness. As the whiskey had notes of honey and cinnamon it was paired with a Wensleydale cheese. Lastly, we were treated to a single malt (my favourite) which was paired with a French cheese, Comté. The cheese was quite nutty and tangy which played off the honey and oak notes of the single malt. 

I truly enjoyed my introduction to whiskey and it's something I will definitely try again in the future. It's also made me realise that certain drinks can be quite exciting when you pair it with food and looking forward to experimenting with other cheeses. Are you a whiskey drinker?

Big love!








Dominic, our expert for the evening
Comparing notes with Brighton blogger, Sarah Harris
Vicky Stokes, Brighton blogger of Ville de Brighton




ALL IMAGES ARE SUBJECT TO COPYRIGHT
PLEASE ASK FOR PERMISSION BEFORE USING
THANK YOU :)

No comments:

Post a Comment